Elaine M. Hart
ElaIne Makarewicz Hart originally from Elmira, Michigan received her Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree from Central Michigan University in 1975. She then took graduate studies at Michigan State University and from then obtained her law degree from Cooley Law School in 1987, graduating summa cum laude.
Prior to attending law school, Ms. Hart worked for the Bureau of Workers’ Disability Compensation for four years (1978-1981). Three of those years Ms. Hart assisted in the prosecution of employers who did not have the required workers’ compensation insurance. Ms. Hart then moved back to Northern Michigan and worked for a law firm in Gaylord with workers’ compensation being her specialty and then in 1985 she decided to go to law school.
During law school Ms. Hart continued to work for that same law firm in Gaylord. Upon graduation from law school she joined the firm as an associate. She was admitted to the State Bar of Michigan in September 1987 and is now a partner at that law firm: Atkinson, Petruska, Kozma, Hart and Couture. Her specialty is workers’ compensation. Ms. Hart is also admitted to the Eastern and Western District courts of the United States in the State of Michigan and also has Admission with the Bay Mills Indian community Tribal Court, Traverse City Bay Band of Odawa Indians Tribal Court and the Sault Ste. Marie Chippewa Tribal Court.
Ms. Hart was inducted into the College of Workers Compensation Lawyers. She was also a People’s Law School Coordinator.
On a personal level, Ms. Hart loves photography and travels all over the world taking pictures of landscapes, mammals and all creatures and walks of life. She then takes those photographs and transforms them into stories via scrapbooking. Part of her travels; involve hiking which is also one of her passions.
- Workers Compensation
- Labor and Employment
- Personal Injury
- Wrongful Death
- Automobile Accidents and Injuries
- Truck Accidents
- Slip and Fall
- Premises Liability
- Workers’ Compensation Section
- Thomas M. Cooley Law School with Juris Doctorate, Cum Laude–January 1985-April 1987
- Michigan State University – 1980-1981
- Central Michigan University with a Bachelor of Science in Secondary Education -1975
Associations & Memberships
- State Bar of Michigan (P40405), admitted 1987
- United States District Court for Eastern District of Michigan -1987
- United States District Court for Western District of Michigan -1987
- Michigan Association for Justice (fka Michigan Trial Lawyer Association)
- Michigan Association for Justice (MAJ)
- 46th Judicial Circuit Bar Association
- Cheboygan County Bar Association
- Bay Mills Indian Community Tribal Court – 1999
- Traverse City Bay Band of Odawa Indians Tribal Court- 2010
- Sault Ste. Marie Chippewa Tribal Court -1997
- College of Workers Compensation Lawyers
Elaine handled my Workers’ Compensation case; this was a long and difficult case. I don’t believe another attorney would have hung on as long as Elaine. Throughout my case, she was always so aggressive and persistent on getting what was due to me. She was on the ball 24-7. The insurance company kept pressuring me to settle for a small amount of money. Elaine assured me, even though I was having financial trouble, to hold out and not settle. Elaine ended up getting me THREE times the initial settlement offer. I would recommend Elaine Hart to anyone; she is about helping people that need the help.”